Consent Orders

6 Feb 2013 - Children 

Consent orders are a very effective way to record an agreement between two separating people. Journey Family Lawyers  are experts at helping you reflect your agreement in a document that is legally binding and protects your future. The basic forms for Consent Orders is available from the Family Court website  for children’s matters. While the Application I would recommend getting the orders themselves drafted (or at least checked over) by a Solicitor.

Property settlement by Consent order is possible too. It is a bit harder to do though. First you should be certain that your orders are fair because the Court has to approve them.  Then just fill out the Application and get your orders drafted. We are very good ( if we do say so ourselves) at getting instructions and quickly formulating the orders that reflect your agreement that will see you protected and your case resolved.

Read our property law notes here and read our resources to get a better idea of how consent orders work. Call us to speak to a lawyer for free.


22 responses to “Consent Orders”

  1. Heather says:

    My ex husband and I have been legally divorced for 7 years. All our children are independent. We have sorted out all our finances. I want nothing more from him and he wants nothing more from me. I have remarried.
    We have not however put anything in writing regarding the separation of finances. My question is this: do we need to have anything in writing regarding that our separation of finances are completed?

    • Journey Family Lawyers says:

      Hi Heather,
      Financial settlements should be formalised either by way of a court order or Financial Agreement, however the time limit is 12 months from your divorce so it’s 6 years out of time now. It is possible for married couples to apply for consent orders ‘out of time’. If you don’t have anything in writing like that then it is possible for one of you to apply to court ‘out of time’, however after so long it’s likely to be very difficult for either of you to convince a court that an order should be made.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.